Wednesday, January 11, 2006

2 months salary...

That is what a man is supposed to spend on a diamond engagement ring these days. Are you kidding me? I did have an ex girlfriend that was pretty serious about that too. Thankfully, we never got engaged and well, that I wasn't making that much at the time. I'm not making much now either, but still.

Someday, I hope to find a wife who: a. Is cool with a strictly Indigenous ceremony (breathing life and legitimacy back into our ways) and b. Would rather we spend that money on travelling (as contientiously as possible) and meeting other Indigenous people, learning and sharing experiences. Any wagers on my chances? Should I give up and prepare for a monastic life of crime-fighting?

I was inspired to share a few thoughts on this issue after having read the post of another blogger, Stacy and this Econ-Atrocity Bulletin on "Ten Reasons Why You Should Never Accept a Diamond Ring from Anyone, Under Any Circumstances, Even If They Really Want to Give You One." I scooped the picture from the IGOV wesbite, although I forgot exactly where.

I also discovered, not suprisingly, that Indigenous people here are getting in on the act of exploiting not only themselves, their lands but others around the world as well. I have not yet conducted exhaustive research but I encourage you to look into it for yourself and if you have questions or concerns here are some Nations who are getting in on the bling that you can contact:

Yellowknives Dene First Nation
Dogrib Treaty 11 Council (Tli Cho Government)
Lutsel K'e Dene Council
North Slave Métis Alliance

(bat)W

8 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Rivers said...

Visit http://myactionsandsecrets.blogspot.com/2006/01/no-diamonds-for-me.html for my response to this...lol

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Na'cha'uaht said...

If you click on the name Stacy in the third paragraph and scroll down you will see what a debate this has caused and my 2 or 4 or 6 cents...W

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, quite the debate...

First to 604 I did go to your website and read your response...As for 'no ugly ass Native Jewellery' I'm not sure if I agree with you on this one. Personally, I only buy it off of artists I know and most of them are not well known so they are barely surviving. I buy off of them because: I like their art work, I think it looks beautiful, and it helps to support them without giving them a handout.

As for being engaged the traditional way and your words, 'If your indian enough, you might find out what that is.'
...It is difficult because many 'Elders' say different things about how it use to be but the one consistent thing I've heard is that marriages were pre-arranged usually from birth and I'm not feeling very traditional in that area.

As for the information on Diamonds - Huy ch q'u Si'em to Na'cha'uaht and Stacy for bringing this to my attention as I was not aware of the information you provided.

Now I know what I will be doing tonight - having a good chat with my stautlus about the new information I learned today (I know he is saving to buy me a ring).

Na'cha'uaht - Do not give up hope on finding your special someone! Yes you do have a very good chance of finding someone who believes the same as you do. Who knows what the upcoming year holds for you as you are starting new adventures!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Doll Creator said...

I don't want a diamond. I want a house. Land is far more valuable than a diamond, and if a man ever gave me that - he would be the one for me...........yay!

Good remarks. I was never much into gold or diamonds, I am much too practical, however, I would accept any handmade item any day, and since I feel I may never receive such a gift, I don't want to carry that as my own little "secret" anymore. LOL. That was always my one stipulation to finding Mr. Special. If he made me something.

Simple huh? Not so.

Keep smiling W. Your a fabulous man.

G

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger swanky panky said...

I don't know what to say about this issue. I am from one of those bands and do not entirely agree nor understand what exactly they are doing. I do know that the elders around the Yellowknife area have a new saying... loosely translated it means "Our hearts are breaking from a white rock". The elders see what the diamond mines are doing to thier young people, seperating families due to fly-in fly-out shift work, taking people away from thier traditional ways, bringing crazy drugs up north.

The land they found the diamonds on are traditional hunting lands that belong to the dene, the government owns mining rights to it. It doesn't matter what the native people say, they just have to try to get something out of it. They are trying to secure education and jobs for thier people and trying to protect the land and water.

They are concerned about not being able to fish anymore in those lakes the mine uses and migratory caribou paths. Do not think that they are just there living in wealth, they are losing thier young, thier culture, thier land. And they are trying to fight these mines. The mines and the government do not give them much for what they are taking away.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Chris said...

The diamon racket is just that...a racket. How much more endearing would it be to save two months salary and, along with your loved one, start something with it. If you and her were to spend $5000 creating real engagement in the world it would cement your relationship and do immeasureable good, rather then sending your hard earned money into for a piece of polished glass that has only sentimental and material value.

How mush stronger would it be to use the money for change in the world, change that you and your partner could commit to together...a real "engagement ring."

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope like hell the ex you were referring to was not me...

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Na'cha'uaht said...

haha, no it was not YOU!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home