Friday, November 11, 2005

Remembering Indigenous Veterans

Thousands of Indigenous men and women have served in the Canadian and American Militaries. I don't know nearly enough about their contributions but I have heard that Indians serving in the first and second world wars endured disproportionately high casualty rates (due to the relative danger of thier missions). And of course most people know that Indigenous veterans lost their Indian status and were not afforded the same considerations as non-Indigenous veterans upon returning home.

One day a year is not nearly enough but I believe it is important to pay respect to the sacrifices they made. You will notice that I did not finish that last sentence with something like, "to serve their country." Ironically, that is as political as I'm going to get today.

"War is the continuation of policy (politics) by other means."
- Karl von Clausewitz

1 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuney' ey skway chul nu scha cha
Hello, good day my friends.
I have mixed feeling about our people and the canadian military. My grandpa fought in the 2nd world war, he was not given any recognition for fighting for the state. Yes they were warriors of the colonized state, but i am more interested in the warriors that have fought for our political rights in our own lands, why is there not a day to acknowledge the hundreds of years of rebellion against the state of canada. To me there are the warriors battling against the onslaught of neo colonialism. I am not sure why i feel that when our people join the forces they are betraying their own communities. Perhaps it is the long standing history of the canadian state using the armed forces at indigenous protest. Would you stand with your people or would you stand as a reprentative of the colonial state?
food for thought
hay sxw qa nu scha cha
Bradley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home